Thursday, October 16, 2008

Sadness and Sorrow

On October 15, 2008, my rabbit Snickers has just passed away. How did this happen? A day earlier, we had noticed that his stomach had gotten bigger. Not huge, but kinda noticeable. So my mom called the vet and explained that he didn't look very comfortable. So later in the afternoon she took Snickeys down to the vet. Many hours later she returned empty handed. We(me and my dad) questioned her about it, and she told us that he will be staying the night at the vet's clinic. She also brought up that he had kind of a blocked intestine issue. So we thought, Ok, well, they can take care of that. Hopefully its not too serious. The next morning, my mom called us into the bedroom. There she was, silently sobbing and tears waterfalling down her face. She told us in a calm but slightly shaky voice, "Snickers passed away last night." My heart just about shattered into little pieces. And those pieces shattered. I have had a spiritual bond with this rabbit ever since I chose him when he was a baby. I could speak to him; he was my little buddy. I started thinking of  a familiar phrase said when a person dies. I will never leave your side. I don't even know what that means anymore. First Pepper, then Baronessa, now Snickers. We bought another rabbit during the time when Snickers was alive named Bandit. So far she is the only rabbit still living among us. I will give her all the attention she could want until she passes. And my dad said to me, "Once Bandit passes, we should stop the cycle of rabbits. It's just going to keep going." I was thinking, after Bandit, are we going to get a dog? I love rabbits, and hopefully they will stay as my (so far) spirit animal.  

4 comments:

Teresa said...

We were so sad to hear about your rabbit dying so suddenly. We know how much your rabbit meant to your family. I'm very impressed with how well and mature you're handling it Valarie. I love reading your thoughts on your blog. Thanks for sharing your feelings with us.

Brett said...

Sorry about your rabbits. It's hard to lose something that you love like that.

Brett said...

Val - I am so sorry you lost Snickers. I am glad he was so well loved and taken care of while he was alive. I am sure you made his life so happy! - Love, Kristine

Brett said...

Snickers was the sweetest little rabbit. He'd always come over and try to get his food and was just so sweet. He didn't cause any trouble and didn't make any noise. I am so sorry and he was my favorite rabbit. - Love, Grammy