A couple of weeks ago was my first day of eighth grade. It was going really well until one of my "friends" started taking the credit for my artwork. She asked me on Friday, "Hey, can I see your drawing portfolio?" I glanced at her briefly and questioned, "Why do you need to see it? You're not going to edit anything in it, are you?"
"Of course not!"
I sighed,"Fine." I gave my portfolio to her and kept a really close eye on her. To my suprise, out of the corner of my eye I saw her erasing some of the mouths on my anime drawings and adding in new ones. Anger flooded through my whole body like it was going out of style. I snapped at her quietly, "What the heck?! You told me that you wouldn't edit anything! You lied to me!!" She turned her face towards me and gave me that "I am so totally busted" look. She suddenly replied calmly, "The way you draw your mouths and legs make it seem like its not real. But since I am your friend, I added in some more realistic touches." I gave her the most stern, pissed off look I could come up with and told her, "That doesn't matter. What matters is that it was completely rude of you to touch my art without telling me you were going to edit! Each of those pictures was an original, from my heart. And those finishing touches just CRUSHED the originality! You are never going to touch my art again!" Those last few silencing sentences were all that I needed to tell her off. She gave me a look like a four year-old caught in the act, turned her face and never spoke to me the rest of the day. At first I didn't know what came over me, but as soon as I gave it some thought, it all became clear. She wasn't becoming a better friend. She was becoming a better enemy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I'm glad you're doing more posts Valarie. I think it's great that you were able to stand up for yourself to your friend. That's a hard thing to do.
Not cool. You're a fantastic artist Val and people are going to be jealous of that. But I think as long as you keep handling it well, just like you did, you'll do better than they will. Good job!
That's like someone slinging Spaghetti-Os™ all over a Rembrandt. Sounds like you erased HER unrealistic smile in the end.
Thanks for blogging Val!
Post a Comment